Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Infusion Day

Once a month I enter a room where I know and like the people, where I do something incredibly dangerous, but has changed my life immeasurably. I never took any drugs for my MS, for over 20 years.It was pointed out to me by highly trained neurologists,
"You fucking what? You're still walking. You should be dead."
A couple of years ago my MS piled in,  ready to take me out forever. I reached the point where I knew I wasn't going to be able to walk. My father inlaw bought up walkers and a wheelchair to our house. The wheelchair sat in our dining room murmuring, "Told you so."
I knew I was a great candidate for Tysabri. I also knew its downside is fatal. Its very expensive, so they put me with a charity that pays for MS suffers to give the scary good a go. Things were so bad, lethal or not, I was in.
It worked out. They monitor my blood every few months to make sure I'm not cresting the death wave, and I walk better than I have for years. So, infusion it is.

No comments: