Friday, April 19, 2013

Start. Stop.

For years now I've been listening to the radio from England streaming across the internet. Its great, then its gone. Then there is a pause, then its  great again. I was leaned-ish the concept of binary years ago. 10110, On. Off. On. On. Off. Right? I just checked my vague understanding of binary and read an article on the derivations and such. My eyes drank in the info, my brain sought to turn it off as quickly as possible. Function, right? I remember the kid's at school who were doing pure maths, if you caught them pondering and staring out the window, they wore a slightly haunted look, they knew why they were doing what they were doing, but also knew the mountain was near impossible to climb. They would then turn off that overbearing thought and smile their way back into the room. 1001.
As the internet takes a firmer hold, binary on off thinking is everywhere. If something doesn't work switch immediately, the next stop will do what you want. You don't have to wait, 101. Its a long way from the days of trying to get the volume just right on your Spectrum or Vic 20 so you could boot in the game your mate had copied for you. Now, Netflix or bit torent, if you are feeling illegal, will give you what you want immediately. You don't even have to want what you boot particularly, just poke away at a computer you don't understand and let it get on with entertaining you. I'm beginning to think those haunted pure maths kids and the time when you had to put effort in to make a computer do what you wanted, might have had a point. Or, I'm a luddite. 110010

No comments: