Sunday, April 7, 2013

Lucky.

My Dad told me years ago, "The harder I work the luckier I get." I always had a feeling he was right. The more I've done, the more doors have opened that I was unaware of. My problem has been the same for decades. I can't maintain the required energy level for what I've wanted to do. I started out as a musician. MS took my hands from me. I was soundchecking in a tent that took a lot of people, playing bass for my brother Kev's band. 30 minutes before we were due to go on it sounded like I had never played a guitar in my life. All feel, timing, gone. Got through that with the help of the bloke playing keyboards who doubled the lines while I played what I could.
 Next up Impro. Loved doing that, always had the feeling I should try stand up. Stand up. Learned a lot at the sharp end. London is brutal but fair. Then, compering, to this day my favourite thing to do. Learned how to tone rooms, to adjust as I went and chat to the police when the Friday night apocalypse's arrived.  Doesn't suit MS and I had to quit.
Married Beth, moved to America. Still the smartest thing I've ever done. Read an audition for Shakespeare in the park, thought, I'm English, how hard could that be? Quite hard as it turns out. Actors were generous enough to let me in and I spent my time learning watching great people pitch and applying what I saw and learned. MS did not like that at all. 8 years on kicked the shit out of me, now infusing once a month putting myself back together.
Now? Writing, producing stuff and maybe directing. Infusion working really well, though all neurologists and others with MS look at me every now and again with a "How the fuck are you doing that?" frown.
So, onwards and uppish. Lets not go mad. Throughout everything doors always swung open, even when it felt like everything was shutting down.
Lucky.

No comments: