Monday, June 16, 2014

Playing the cards I'm dealt.

When I was younger, all I wanted was to play in bands with my brother Kev. If I hadn't got ill, I'd be doing that to this day. Unfortunately my hands packed up and I had to think of something else. I'd done improv and really enjoyed  it, but I'd always wondered what doing stand up would be like.
I'm funny with my mates, must be a sign, right? No it isn't. Being funny around your friends is lovely but its not what stand up is. What you need is the ability to take public criticism from hundreds of people, whilst you are learning. Not so much a skill, more being determined, and a little touched.
Even after I knew I had MS I figured, I'll do this, 20 minutes of work a day? I'm in.  20 minutes a day my arse, once comedy has you, you work the whole time, even when you think you are not. Brilliant! I'll do this I thought, and got pretty good at it. MS comes in, comedy over.
Shit what now?  Well, I married the love of my life and moved to America. Good plan, great plan! And? Hmm..
I then read the audition notice in The Dispatch for Shakespeare in the park. I'm English, how hard could that be? Really quite hard, it turns out. Loved doing that, met loads of great people. I'll do this. MS comes in, acting over. Bugger! whats left?
Improv, music, writing and comedy. Outside of the killer neurological nightmare, I'm the luckiest fucker I know.

No comments: