Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Loving the lose.

I've learned more by losing than I ever did winning. I learned how useful failing is, doing comedy. The gigs that didn't work are where I learned the most about what I was doing. Gigs that go fantastically well are great and a lot of fun, but they never taught me very much. Rooms that just stared, or piled in,  was where I built the skills for the gigs I really enjoyed.
The reason I did comedy was because MS had taken my hands away. I was a musician until then. I felt tired all the time and figured that stand up was a good bet as I only had to perform for 20 minutes a night. I'd started out by doing improv. A failed relationship pushed me to do that. Having performed with a troupe in some ropey pubs, where our presence was less than heralded, I went for stand up.
I did the Jackson's Lane Comedy workshop. The first class, I failed, as  badly as you can imagine. I went back to the second class slightly late. My comic demise of the previous week had become a "Bless him, never mind.." before I got there. I sat at the back of the room, hoping not to be called upon. I was. Up again, the crap of the week before began to fall. Something happened. I played the fail of the first class, it was the best performance I did. It was then I knew I really wanted to be a comic, and what it what going to take to do it.
I use the lose all the time, I find I'm more comfortable coming from a weaker position. That's how I deal with MS all the time. Unless I don't. Depends on the day...

No comments: