Monday, June 20, 2011

Musical influence

This morning I've been listening to Adam and The Ants, who were huge in England when I was seven. We loved the videos,and all danced around to them and Madness, and The Specials. As I've got older, I reaslise I was exposed to punk baroque, ska and top rock music when I was young enough to absorb it like a sponge.The music education English kid's get is stunning.

The difference between an English kid's exposure to music and an American's, is that the american kid's bands have space to breathe, whereas the English bands are constantly being influenced by the influences that surround them. Both ways are excellent, the English way is a lot more full on.

What I mean is an American kid's ear is trained to ride the emotion, in the space their band's allow them, an English kid learns to find the emotion in the busy multi faceted tunes their bands are trained in. Not always the case for the american kid, Detroit techno bring a good example.

Both sets of kids are looking to do the same thing, let the music breathe through them.

There is no such thing as a one hit wonder. What you hear is the moment that a band's work transcends, and hits perfect flow. some only hit it once, listen to their work, and you can see the journey they were on to get there. All artists are looking to do this. Its nigh on impossible and makes you completely obsessive, I can't think of living any other way.

No comments: