Friday, June 3, 2011

The Joy of Radio.

My whole life has been lived enhanced by the power coming through the radio.
 My formative influence is English radio, with brief sojourns onto pirate ship Caroline, when it fought its way through the static. Now I get to enjoy American radio, particularly NPR and the two top notch indie stations in Columbus.
I know I'm getting older, because I'm currently streaming Radio 2, which plays a lot of the music that was cutting edge and I listened to on Radio 1 when I was a kid. I can still feel in touch with the now by listening to Radio 6. One of my favourite shows is on there, Guy Garvey's Finest Hour. 
Spoken word has also been a massive influence on me. Radio 4 and 4 Extra (formerly radio 7) sit there waiting for you to grow into them. As  comic, there is no better example of perfect timing than listening to Hancock's Half Hour, or any number of old comedy shows that wait patiently for you to discover them.
This is the great strength of the internet. It acts as an archive of learning you can dip into as you wish.
Radio, this sucker always plays you.

And, since Aimee asked me:

Go to bbcnews.co.uk type any of those stations into the search the bbc news window, top right. You'll love it.


and since the punk in me will never die, check out Paul B Edwards Punky radio podcast. Excellent.
I've been lucky enough to have a couple of tracks played on it, always Xmas songs. Now looking to getting more songs recorded and over to him.

No comments: