Friday, March 28, 2014

Summary.

I'm up, having drunk a couple of cups of coffee I made at 12:30am. I knew that sleep was not coming, so I started looking for something to watch,  John Leguizamo has a new one man show on HBO which is excellent.  I really like the relentless honesty of his shows, no matter the cost. So, here are a few things about me that are true.
When i was diagnosed with MS I figured I had until I was 30 at best, that I would be crippled and checked out, sometime before then.
 I kept doing stand up, figuring I may as well go out on a burn. The fear which all stand ups have before performing was gone, replaced by the fear that I wouldn't be able to walk on stage, or stand there. Once I got behind the mic, I had a whale of a time and everything went well.
I paid for every performance with a day in bed and I didn't care. As things began to take off, I realized that I couldn't do the amount of work that was necessary for me to get to where I wanted. I didn't care for the longest time, I was doing really well, whilst only being able to do half the gigs I should. I was drinking heavily whilst doing this, out on a burn tight?
The drinking was the reason I got knocked down by a double decker bus. After my eye was stitched up, I took the two friends who had come to the hospital with me to a kebab house. I don't know who was more horrified, them, or the guys behind the counter.
It was at this time Beth and I went out for a drink, which became a date, which ended up with us being married and living in America. This was the thing which dragged me back from the precipice. I was mentally checking out before I met Beth, I figured I was done, it was only a matter of time. I still thought my time was limited, but it  was amazing.
I knew comedy was done when I quit out of Screaming Blue Murder's Edinburgh show. I wanted it so badly, and I knew I could not physically do it.  I quit comedy entirely, and drank my way through, until I could bail for America.
I ended up in Columbus with no clue where I was, and no idea of what to do. I saw an Improv class, thought I've done improv over the years, and went. It was great and I began meeting people and performing again.
I then saw an advert in the Dispatch for Shakespeare in the park. I didn't know how the hell you did that, so I decided to audition. I got two plays, and said something to the person who rang to give me the good  news I would never say again. "Well, they're your plays.."
I then spent my time acting, which I really enjoyed. Then things began to collapse, and I couldn't trust that I could even walk across a stage. so I quit. Just as well i did, as things got so bad I had to relearn how to walk, twice.
Having never taken any drugs for my MS I was presented with a choice, a potentially lethal monthly infusion, or a wheelchair. I should have checked out years ago, so I figured, infusion it is.
It works really well. My walking is a lot better.
What next? I am going to keep on taking my monthly risk and keep walking. I have a fitbit, and I'm up to three miles a day. Then……dunno, I'm sure something will come up.

No comments: