Saturday, March 8, 2014

Perpetual Reset.

We all muddle through life, doing our best, whilst quietly thinking about what it is we are going to so. why we are here. Then something happens, we hit the reset button, and try again, still believing we will reach the place where we are going to stay.
I had this idea drummed out of me forever, sitting on a hospital bed, when I was 22,being told I had MS. At the time I thought I'd dodged a bullet, I thought it was cancer and I was waiting for the  "Have you been to Disneyland?" speech. I actually reacted with a "Yes!" thought about it and said, "Is that the one with the spine torn out on the posters?…Oh. Fuck.I went back to doing stand up, always knowing that my time to do it would run out, which it did in   December 1999.
Reading back now, I know what i meant to say was that my life has been constantly resetting since the diagnosis. i'm sure what ever was coming next was deep and heartfelt. However, since i wrote the first paragraph I've spent my day talking to some of my best friends in England, then we went out to the bar with some of our really good friends here. Food was great, drinks were plentiful. So my message is, whatever awful crosses your path, however bad you think things are, there's always something you weren't expecting that was worth hanging around for.

No comments: