Monday, March 31, 2014

Selling the loss.

Last night I went to an improv drop in, where students, improvisers from different teams, anyone who is interested into improvisation, come together. We were assigned different teams and spent a couple of hours playing different games. It was the first time I'd been on stage for more than two years. I was a little shaky, my fault as i was recovering from the mimosas of the afternoon. Joe Teeters, who organized the night gave me his arm to lean on, to make sure i made the stage without tanking it.
Once there I remembered just how much I love doing improv and had a total hoot. Improv freaks some performers out, they think they have to be immediately hilarious and turn themselves inside out, aiming for the perfect laugh. Thats not how it works. Improv works when everyone ditches ego, plays for who they're with on stage with and trusts something is coming, looking for a way out.
. I settled into last night by royally screwing up the first game I was given to run. It got funnier as I flannelled my way through, digging my way out.
 I knew I could do stand up when I learned how to sell the loss. I knew I could get the laugh if the joke worked, and if it fell to dust in front of me. Thats why i love improv so much. I know the rules, and play the truth as best I see it. If it goes sideways? I commit, and play that. Cheers Joe, I really needed that.

No comments: