Sunday, August 24, 2014

Match Report

Beth and I flew into England last saturday. We had a great veining in Studham with my dad and then joined my mum at the Old Palace Lodge in Dunstable, ahead of my nan's funeral on Monday. The funeral, at a small chapel at a graveyard in Dunstablewas lovely, exactly what my nan would have wanted. Kev, Cat and I gave readings. My brother and sister are fantastic public speakers, I think nan would have loved it.
The wake, at a room in The Old Palace Lodge was excellent. The spread they put on would have tickled my nan, who could make a full buffet for 50 using only a carrot, a lump of cheese, and half a loaf of bread. How she made the trifle? A mystery which will never be solved.
The wake was full of relatives I haven't seen for years. It took less than five seconds for everyone to settle in. On a terrible day, it was the best thing that could have happened
Dad picked us up on Tuesday. we went to sainsburys, emptied the chocolate and crisp aisles, and got some really nice flowers to put on nan and granddad's grave. Lunch in a cafe at the top of dunstable downs, which are stunning. back to Studham, great evening.

Wednesday. Dad gave us a lift to Broadstairs, where Mum now lives. Its a gorgeous seaside town. Spent the afternoon playing with my niece Aria and my nephew Harry.Phoned Brody, who lives down there. Out for an evening of fish and chips, beer and fireworks, with a late night tour of Ramsgate and Broadstairs with Brody's wife Carolyn at the wheel and his son Harry in the back with Beth and Steve. Amazing.
Thursday. Dad picked us up as Beth was flying back to America on Friday. Another top night.
Friday. Beth left early, and the reality of what I'd been doing for the last few days began to settle in. That was a lot of drinking. what to do? Luckily Friday we went to a great restaurant for Helen's sister Joanne's birthday. drinking did not stop, but was held a little in check. Beth, having been delayed in Philly, finally got home.
Yesterday. Hugh came down. We went to the pub, scoffed someone's birthday buffet, still don't know who, came back, ate ribs and cheese, and drank amazing wine for hours. That was a lot of fun!
Today. Studhambury music festival. Sean, Catherine and my godson Joseph are coming down. Tomorrow a really good friend of mine Sam, is coming down in the afternoon. I may make home in one piece yet. May.

No comments: