Thursday, July 17, 2014

Nan.

Yesterday, after I found out about my nan, I thought I wouldn't sleep at all, even though I felt exhausted. At some point my body decided to do the decent thing, and shut me down.
I woke up this morning knowing I had to get a hold of people back home, to make sure they were ok, and explain the change in my travel plans.
 I was due to fly Wednesday night. I was rushing back to see my nan for the last time. Beth and I were in a traffic jam coming through Indiana, when I got the call I was dreading.
"Nan died Si."
I sat in shock for a while,cried, and then told Beth all the great memories I have of her.
 My nan was proper old school, she enjoyed life, no matter how difficult it got. She lived through the London blitz, and took no rubbish from anyone, ever.
Married to my Grandad, a devout Irish Catholic, it was never said what she was. Atheist? She was just-not that interested in this Jesus business.
Grandad would take us to church, Nan would have a great breakfast ready for us when we got back. She liked the Irish catholic social club St. Vincent's, we'd go there most weekends when I was a kid. 
She loved the people, the bands,the dancing, and the bingo. Church just wasn't her thing. And there was never any issue with it,ever. Ever. It took until I was older to realise this was a little unusual. 
People loved her for who she was, and she loved them right back.
She had my back, my whole life, I loved talking with her and being around her. Truly decent, always smiling, I am going miss her, so much. 
Rest easy Nan. You showed me what is important, and what truly means something. Job done xxx

No comments: