Friday, December 20, 2013

Roses

I watched the Stone Roses documentary as they tried to come back together, difficult, full of near disaster,but they did it. I know I always cite the Pixies as my favourite band and on albums they still are, but there is something about the Stone roses. While I was watching the documentary it took me back to the time before I knew I was ill, when I was at Passfield hall and Dave and I danced to the first time I heard Fools Gold at the Camden Palais. Dave threw himself into the crowd, as was his want, I grooved happily, bothering no one
There are some events that stay with me. I remember watching Konyaanisqasti with Philip Glass playing, Spirutualized at The Royal Albert Hall, one of The Pixies last gigs at the Brixton Academy, Eddie Izzard when no one really knew who he was at the Bloomsbury Theatre, Bowie at the Milton Keynes Bowl, all sorts of gigs.
What brought it back? The Roses. After a couple of years under the MS cosh, I remembered who it is I actually am. I have always worked in entertainment, bands until I couldn't play, stand up, until I knew I couldn't do what I needed, acting  until I knew I couldn't do what they needed.
Am I bitter? Well I have been a bit. It would have been better if I was shit, I always quit when I knew I was doing well but couldn't physically do what I needed.
But, I like to look forward. I know writing is the next thing I get to try. I gave play writing a go earlier in the year and was going to teach stand up then got wiped out by illness so savage I can't really describe it. You'd have to have had it to know, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Its actually worse than MS. Tri - neuralgic nerve pain, if you were wondering.
So, onwards and so forth. Even when I know I'm beat for a while, I cant sustain it. The world is way too interesting for that.
This  post soundtracked by My Bloody Valentine, another top band!

No comments: