Thursday, August 4, 2011

Movement

There are times when you know you are going to do something. When I first left the hospital, having been diagnosed with MS, jacked up on steroids, I limped back into the flat I was sharing with Neil. The first thing I did was get a credit card, which was unusual at the time. Neil said to me, "Why did you get that Dowdy?" I said, "Because one day. you will turn around, and I'll be gone." I knew I was leaving, I've never felt more certain of anything. I didn't know how, or when, or why, but I knew it would happen.
Then Beth and I fell in love, and the question of where we would live came up. I didn't hesitate, America.
I thought we would live in Chicago, that's where Beth had been for a few years. A place at Ohio State came up, which is why we are here. I knew nothing about Ohio, didn't know where it was. All I cared about was whether there was a Chinese in town. Didn't even know Columbus was a city, never mind the capital. Didn't care. Had no idea what I was going to do, just knew I wanted to be with Beth, wanted out of England, and jumped ship.
Its worked put really well. I love Columbus, have made very close friends, and done things I didn't dream I could do. Shakespeare for example.
Over the past few years Beth and I have gone back and forth about jumping ship again, and leaving Columbus. Its proved to be very difficult. You lot have a cool city full of great people, which costs buttons compared to the other options.
So, I don't know. If you had asked me last year, we were leaving. Right now, very happy where we are thanks. Who knows...?

No comments: