Sunday, January 23, 2011

Two dogs, no telly.

Its me , abbey and Rudy, our neighbour's pooch who we are babysitting while they are in Aruba. Fran and Paul go there every year, which makes a ton of sense to me. Winter is shit, and long here in Ice Station Columbus. I originally found it amazing, we don't get winter's like this in England, though everyone back home tells me this years is terrible. Is it going to last until April?  This is the question I ask myself over here every year, and it does. Having said that the two or three days of perfect weather a year are great.
You can tell when its really cold, the dogs stand at the open kitchen door, look at each other, look at you to say," You're kidding, right?" Before heading back off to the couch, where they lie while you  stand shivering at the door like a super keen substitute teacher, trying to get everyone involved. Dogs will do this in good weather, even rain, but arctic conditions? Couch. Enjoy yourself stupid human.
Telly sits, a menacing ancient obelisk, scanning the front room with its one giant dead eye. I've been watching a lot of Netflix on my laptop. Its like when me and my brother got our first black and white portable, only no dial. when you had a dial telly, and the storm was up, you believed you might be able to pick up TV from the continent. Now there are loads of foreign channels on sky back home, no one really wants them. Unless its late night ropey french TV.

No comments: